That doesn’t mean you should freak out and duck every time you make avocado toast in your kitchen. But if you’re not careful, your kitchen could be an impending accident.
Of course, your oven and stove can be dangerous because they could end up cooking things in addition to your food. And you need to be careful when using a trash can, blender, or something similar while wearing a long tie or scarf. But there are other dangers that may not be so obvious. For example, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, each year approximately 22,500 people have to go to hospital emergency rooms after being injured by toppling furniture, televisions and appliances, 44% of whom are children. Your kitchen probably has at least one tipping hazard as well as several things that can catch fire, and not in a good way. Specifically, there are four things to watch out for, according to three appliance repair experts who run the Appliances Made Simple website.
1. Your refrigerator can topple over, catch fire, or give you bad germs.
Assuming you don’t have a TV, dresser, or gigantic Harry Styles statue in your kitchen, the most likely thing to tip over is your refrigerator. Your fridge is probably the most used appliance in your kitchen because it’s where the food is. So often, engagement means he can be more likely to move. In addition, it is extremely heavy because a refrigerator made entirely of paper mache, rubber or plush would not work very well.
Therefore, it’s very important to keep your refrigerator secure, potentially to the wall, as the “Appliances Made Simple” website recommends, so that it doesn’t topple the Casbah, so to speak, until it Fall on you. It’s also not a good idea to place heavy objects on top of your refrigerator, as they could fall on you. So find another place to put your anvils, bowling balls and iron garter belts.
Also remember that the refrigerator has electricity flowing through it, so it can ignite if wires or other parts are faulty. Therefore, make sure everything is in good working order. Antique end tables can be nice, but not necessarily antique refrigerators.
Finally, your refrigerator could accommodate many unwanted guests. No, not your parents and in-laws who just don’t want to leave, but rather microbes like bacteria and mold that could make you really sick. So keep the inside of your fridge clean and throw away any food that might be spoiled or contaminated.
2. Range hoods and ductwork can catch fire.
Your stove can certainly catch fire. In fact, if you have a gas stove, it’s supposed to do this to a limited extent. The problem is that it can easily start a fire in anything near the stove. This includes the hood and ventilation systems located above or beside the stove. Such systems can become clogged with dust and grease, making them easily flammable. Therefore, it is important to regularly clean these systems and replace the filters frequently. You don’t want a hooda, coulda, woulda situation.
3. Dishwashers can catch fire.
Just because a dishwasher has water running through it doesn’t mean it can’t catch fire. A dishwasher usually has heating elements and also consumes electricity. So the same tips for maintaining cleanliness and working order apply here too. The guys at Appliances Made Simple also recommend letting your dishwasher’s heating element cool for a few hours after a wash cycle before running another. In the case of dishwashers and people, being hot can be good, but there is such a thing as being too hot. Additionally, the three guys advise against running your dishwasher overnight or any other time when you may not be there to quickly detect that something is wrong. It’s not great to go back to a situation where the dishes are done but the house is on fire.
4. Microwaves can catch fire, exposing you to radiation and causing burns.
By now you might be thinking that apparently everything in your kitchen can catch fire. That may be true for practically in addition to your Taylor Swift Meets BTS ceramic shrine. But another appliance that could catch fire if not maintained properly is your microwave. Yes, that innocent-looking microwave you can use to heat up your gnocchi or make your underwear nice and comfy. Chances are you know that metal objects such as utensils and handcuffs should not be microwaved because they can start a fire. But you should also look for places where the microwave can be worn out, allowing it to malfunction and catch fire.
Also check the microwave door. A faulty door can allow radiation to escape and in turn expose you, which wouldn’t be great. Microwave radiation on your popcorn is one thing. Microwave radiation on your genitals is another thing. So, the guys from “Appliances Made Simple” warn you to regularly check the seal of the door and make sure it closes properly.
Then there’s food, drinks, and anything you can put in the microwave. According to the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the majority of microwave-related injuries are burns when people touch, eat, or come into contact with food, liquids, or containers before they have had enough time to cool down. . It’s never a good idea to put boiling things in your mouth.
The Appliances Made Simple trio is made up of Adam Morris, an engineer with around a decade of experience. David Lewis, an engineering student, and Jason Hutchinson, an engineer with 15 years experience in appliance repair. They have general advice for all the small appliances in your kitchen, urging you to keep “their cables neatly away from the edge of your counter to prevent them from being accidentally pulled off the work surface. This is especially important if you have children at home. They also “recommend registering all new devices with the manufacturer so that they can contact you in the event of a recall or discovery of defects”.
Again, that doesn’t mean you should never walk into your kitchen or replace your kitchen with a bocce room. It just means that you need to keep your kitchen in good condition and be aware of possible dangers. While you can dance the “Safety Dance” if it’s really done safely. Your kitchen might not be the best place to randomly dance to the song “Sex Bomb” while wearing a Deadpool mask that doesn’t have eye holes.